Broadcast Careers: KMTV, Omaha - Real Time Editor/Digital MMJ
KMTV 3 News Now Real Time Editor – Digital Multimedia Journalist
The Real-Time Editor is responsible for managing all cross-platform content gathering operations at the station during their assigned shift. Duties include story scouting, field crew management and monitoring of scanner, digital platforms and news email. The Real-Time Editor also acts as a content distributor for our digital channels, and is responsible for news writing and editing, social media oversight and pushing out web and mobile breaking news alerts. This position reports directly to the Executive Producer, Real-Time Desk.
- Identify breaking news in real-time and aggressively gather facts for cross-platform distribution by managing all internal and external content. Prepare for cross-platform distribution.
- Write, edit and optimize digital story content as it is gathered for the web, with story-by-story direction from Executive Producer of Real-Time Desk.
- Assign and manage field crew placement and technical logistics, including but not limited to live truck placement, satellite time bookings, resource needs, etc.
- Work as a savvy social media expert by crafting content for station accounts that actively engage and interact with our audience, in line with standards set by Executive Producer of Real-Time Desk.
- Monitors station email and scanners in real-time to stay ahead of stories as they occur in the community.
- Apply knowledge of the dynamics of digital media as well as television content distribution, and actively work to gather elements advantageous to both platforms.
- Oversee the completion of assignments, including planning, assigning, monitoring and reviewing progress and accuracy of work, evaluating results, etc.
- Act as a research partner to field crews, helping to foster enterprise story news gathering.
- Perform other duties as needed and directed by the Executive Producer, Real-Time Desk.
- Shoot/write/produce/edit web and OTT exclusive news stories using mobile journalism equipment
Education & Experience/Certifications
- BS/BA in Journalism or related discipline.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in content gathering and/or distribution background. Preferred focus in digital media, content management systems, basic HTML, image editing, web and TV-style writing and social networking.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent verbal, written and social media communication skills.
- Identifies key barriers/core problems and applies problem-solving skills in order to deal creatively with complex situations.
- Thinks strategically to be competitive and innovative in a crowded marketplace. Troubleshoots and resolves complex problems.
- Operates with considerable latitude; independently performs assignments to results expected; determines and develops approach to solutions.
- Working knowledge of industry technologies and practices.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office, social media programs and newsroom computer systems, including iNews.
- Ability to collaborate well in a team and make decisions quickly during any type of coverage.
- Ability to work independently, and effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment by remaining calm under pressure.
- Limited to no travel.
- Non-traditional shifts (Desk is staffed 24/7).
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.