KETV NewsWatch 7, Omaha’s News Leader, is looking for a great journalist eager to enterprise content that makes a difference in our community.
If you prefer to receive an assignment, this is not a job for you. The general assignment reporter position is an opportunity to define your role as a broadcast journalist. We are looking for someone who can develop contacts and uncover stories that are vital and important to Omaha, Nebraska and Iowa.
The position will work with a photographer to produce compelling stories, often under tight deadlines. The winning candidate will be highly-competitive who’s able to arrive on the scene of breaking news, quickly assess the situation, and be ready to report moments later. We want our reporters to be great storytellers with a passion for using great video. They should have ability look at issues and events through the eyes of those who experience them first-hand.
A great KETV NewsWatch 7 reporter also should be able to find stories hidden in public agendas, turn stories from tips developed through sources, and address concerns raised by everyday viewers and people you meet on the street. You need have a passion for talking to people and for telling their stories.
Not every story is breaking news: we will give you the time and space as needed to dig into issues and investigate public concerns. Your ability to enterprise will help define your daily contribution to KETV NewsWatch 7.
Our reporters are expected to be aggressive on social media, prepared to update stories as they develop, and produce digital content in addition to material for broadcast. Reporters are expected to contribute to all KETV digital platforms, including KETV.com
The winning candidate will have experience at live reporting, the highest journalistic standards, and the ability to think critically.
This is a great opportunity to join an award-winning team of journalists, and to work in the heart of downtown Omaha in historic 7 Burlington Station.
- Develop news content for KETV NewsWatch 7 and KETV.com
- Cultivate news contacts and sources with the expectation of producing exclusive reports
- Live reporting, often under tight deadlines, delivered with energy, purpose, and poise.
- The ability to write quickly and make efficient use of your time
- Coordination with photographers and other journalists to produce quality reports
- An interest in the workings of government and politics
- A minimum of two years of experience as a working journalist
- A demonstrated ability to enterprise news coverage and to pursue newsmakers aggressively
- A personality that invites conversation with new people
- A solid, aggressive, and professional social media profile.
- Bachelor’s Degree or related military training in Broadcast Communications, Journalism, or related field is preferred