KETV NewsWatch 7, Omaha’s News Leader, is looking for an Investigative Producer, ready to join our award-winning team at Hearst Television to produce reports that make a difference to our community, and our worldwide digital audience.
We are hiring for an investigative producer who is eager to find stories that explore important, complex issues, examine policy shortcomings, and hold public officials accountable. They’re reports that go beyond the ‘news of the day’.
- The investigative producer will work hand-in-hand with our team of journalists to collaborate on both long-form stories and important issues related to the day’s events which require a deeper examination.
- You’ll be working in historic 7 Burlington Station, the revitalized train station located amid the vibrant downtown Omaha community.
- The right candidate must be a self-starter: eager to explore leads, develop sources and research stories. The investigative producer will be expected to uncover stories, pitch ideas, and see them through from discovery to final production.
- Be able to use the Freedom of Information Act to obtain documents.
- Have a knowledge of computer-assisted research, and an ability to mine and process public data to build data or analyze data bases
- Conduct interviews
- Have an experience of Excel
- Have a working knowledge of legal issues associated with reporting
- Produce content for our television newscasts and digital platforms, including writing copy and editing video
- Write copy and edit video
- Contribute to daily coverage, including being ready to produce other KETV NewsWatch 7 productions as needed including newscasts.
- College Degree in Journalism or related field
- Military training from Defense Information School with experience will be considered
This is not an entry-level position. The right candidate should have a college degree and at least two years of experience in journalism. We also will consider candidates with applicable experience in other fields eager to begin a career in digital journalism.