Broadcast Careers: KIOS FM, Omaha - Program Director
KIOS-FM Radio Programming Director
Location: KIOS-FM Radio Station, Teacher and Administrative Center/Career Center, 3215 Cuming Street, 68131
Reports To: KIOS-FM Radio Station Manager
Work Schedule/FLSA Status: 12 Month /Exempt
Apply at: https://omaha.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=5100
Salary Schedule: Salary commensurate with education and experience
Position Purpose: Plan and schedule programming and event coverage, based on broadcast length, time availability, and other factors, such as community needs, ratings data, and viewer demographics.
- Schedule the broadcast of locally-produced and acquired programming and provide recommendations for improvements to the broadcast schedule.
- Supervise station operations (on-air program logs; ENCO broadcast and automation playlists; monitor and ensure all audio files for program content, news material, and promos are in order.
- Monitor the quality of all local program elements providing recognition and critique to all KIOS on-air and production staff.
- Schedule both full and part-time staffing ensuring proper coverage 24/7/365.
- Serve as on-air shift host and be available to fill-in for all shifts on an as needed basis.
- Work closely with Underwriting Director to ensure local spot availabilities are being properly utilized and managed through the Allegiance traffic software.
- Partner with Membership Manager and Station Manager in organizing successful pledge drives.
- Participate in short and long term strategic planning.
Additional Duties Performs other related tasks as assigned by Station Manager.
Equipment: This position may require the ability to use basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, fax machine, radio station equipment. Must always comply with OPS’s guidelines for equipment use.
Travel: Travel within and outside of the Omaha Metro area may be required.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Must be able to respond rapidly in emergency situations.
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Work in school building environment.
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors.
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks.
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues.
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service.
Employee Punctuality and Appearance
- In order for schools and departments to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and is appropriate for their position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in Broadcast, Journalism, Communications or related field, or equivalent job experience.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of professional radio experience in programming and staff management.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of the public radio industry and understanding of the public radio audience.
- On-air radio hosting and board operations experience.
- Must have clear, engaging, intelligible speaking voice and a firm command of spoken English.
- Ensures compliance with local, state and federal regulations related to programming activities.
- Proficient in the use of PC software, including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, traffic systems and automation software.
- Proven attendance and work record, willingness to work as part of a team to achieve goals.
- Quick problem solver and ability to coach on-air staff.
- Effective and diplomatic communication skills both verbally and written required.
- Skills pertinent to positive human relationships and the ability to work effectively with staff members, administrators, and the community.
Terms of Employment
This position is treated as a full-time exempt classified position. The terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state laws regulating employment in a Nebraska public school and Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change from time to time. If your position is represented by a collective bargaining representative, then your employment will also be governed by a negotiated agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining representative.
The offer of employment is contingent upon:
- Obtaining and providing verification of all licenses, certificates, and other requirements for the position (e.g., Paraprofessionals obtaining “Highly Qualified status,” etc.), as identified and maintaining all licenses, certificates, and requirements for your position throughout employment.
- A background check which demonstrates to OPS that background is acceptable for the position.
- Verification of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (if required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a pre-employment medical examination to determine ability to safely and effectively perform the essential functions of the position.
Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or economic status in its programs, activities, employment, and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies: Director for the Office of Equity and Diversity, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE
The Omaha Public School District is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process please contact the Human Resources Department at 531-299-0240.